Artist of the week

Friday, December 7, 2012

Super Magic Hats


Super Magic Hats is an electronic music project from Melbourne, Australia. Taking cues from a diverse and eclectic range of music, Super Magic Hats set about making music to dance to, that also makes sense as music, and that roams free from the shackles of dance music convention. Or possibly any music convention.

Why do you make Music and what does it mean for you?
Music means a lot to me, I love to listen to it and I am always inspired to create it. I can’t really say why, it’s just something I’ve always done. I get a bit restless and cranky if I can’t make music for a few days.

What’s your favourite artist and song?
I don’t think I could really name just one.

What genres and artists did influence your music?
I listen to a lot of different music but the genres that really influence me are shoegaze, electronica and techno. Some of the artists that influence me are Dirty Projectors, Gold Panda, Shonen Knife, Fuck Buttons and James Holden. Some of those influences are probably more obvious than others, but all of those people have played their part in shaping my approach to music.

How much the live element matters in your Music?
I love playing live, the immediacy of it and the way that mistakes happen but give a moment magic is a really fun part of the music process for me. It can be tricky at times because I don’t write songs with playing them live in mind, though - I have to deconstruct them and then work out how I can reconstruct them again - but this is part of the fun.

What do you think about Music industry nowdays?
I think the industry part is in a mess right now but the music part is stronger than ever. It’s a case of doors closing but windows opening, really. There are new opportunities to get your music out there and there are so many amazing artists now that you can find on Bandcamp or via blogs, who might not have labels or traditional industry behind them.

What is the message that you’d like to express at the people Who listen to your Music?
Thank you!

Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowdays?
I think relevance is quite a personal thing, the more so now that people can chose personal cultural experiences with the internet.

What is your favourite book and movie?
Book - too many to mention
Movie - Spirited Away

How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?
Probably annoying my kids with my music…

Beatles or Rolling Stones?
Beatles for sure. Revolver and Sgt Pepper’s are two of my favourite albums.

Follow us on http://www.facebook.com/indieswaymagazine and http://indies-way.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment