Artist of the week

Friday, December 21, 2012

Oskar Schuster


Who are you?

I’m Oskar, I live in Berlin and I create music.


Why do you make Music and what does it mean for you?

I always wanted to create things instead of just consuming them. I didn’t have TV and when I got my first computer as a child, I didn’t use it much to play games but started right away to program my own little games. When I was about 14, I changed from programming to composing music and later I changed again to writing short stories and drawing. But music turned out to be the thing I could do best. So some years ago, after I moved to Berlin, I decided to focus on it.


Where AND when did you start learn to play piano?

I started to play around on the piano that stood in my parent’s living room as a little child. When I got into school, I started to take classical piano lessons.


What’s your favourite artist and song?

It’s always hard to pick just ONE… Beirut - “Postcards from Italy” maybe, if I really have to pick one. Because it expresses the feeling of nostalgia so perfectly well.



What genres and artists did influence your music?

Just about every genre, but most evidently: classical music, Sigur Rós, Beirut (for the song structures and composing techniques mainly), Pogo (for the use of samples in order to create beats) and Yann Tiersen.


How much the live element matters in your Music?

So far I don’t play live at all, so at the moment it doesn’t matter.



What do you think about Music industry nowdays?

I don’t know much about the music industry. I think it’s changing a lot because of the internet, just like everything is changing because of the internet. It’s easier for unknown artists now to gain attention without the help of big labels.



What is the message that you’d like to express at the people Who listen to your Music?

I don’t have a message, I just want to create something that is a bit magical.



Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowdays?

Oskar Schuster 
There’s so many musicians and so many different genres. It’s hard to say. Maybe the ones that define their own genre are the most relevant, at least to me. The ones that really create something of their own and stay innovative.



How’s the new album proceeding?

Quite well, most of the song ideas are nearly finished and I’ll soon start with recording and arranging them. It will be quite different from my first record, “Dear Utopia”, which was kind of a process of searching my own sound. Now it seems, I found it.


What is your favourite book and movie?

Anything by Kafka. And I love Tim Burton movies such as ‘Edward Scissorhands’. But at the moment my favourite is ‘La science des rêves’ by Michel Gondry.

How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?

I prefer to think about the present and near future. So I don’t know. Still making music I guess. Or writing children’s books. That’s something I want to do when I’m older.
Beatles or Rolling Stones?
The Beatles, they were so much more innovative and changed music history forever.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you
    Classical piano lessons
    drum lessons tucson

    ReplyDelete