Artist of the week

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bearcubs

Bearcubs facebook fanpage
-Who are Bearcubs?
Bearcubs consists of one person, me (Jack Ritchie)

-Why do you make music and what does it mean for you?

I think the main the reason I make music is because I really enjoy it, nothing beats the feeling of when an idea you have comes together and the music flows effortlessly out. It can be a good outlet sometimes too. 

-Let's talk about the new EP "HONEST"?
This is the first EP I have made as a solo artist. The whole process took me quite a while because I wasn't sure what I wanted at first. I kept going back and changing things and it just wasn't working out. Then I had a sort of epiphany and it all came together, I thought, I'm just going to make music that I myself really like, and not try and make it fit into any sort of bracket, genre etc, hence the title of the EP 'Honest' is an honest reflection of myself and what I like. 

-Let's talk about a "Cadence Collective" project?
Cadence Collective is basically a group of music producers and artists based in NY and the UK who support and promote each others work. They include M∞n , Kruisemode, Theo Bass, Cube Face, [Ctrl], E+E and myself. They are all amazing artists and definitely worth checking out. Find them here: www.facebook.com/cadencecollectivemusic

-The music blog "Believe in sound" added you to his list of the best
singles of 2012. What do you think?
Haha I am flattered, shout outs to Believe in sound!

-Where and when did you start learn to play?
The first instrument I played was a miniature plastic drum kit that my parents bought me when I was 5. From then I went on to learn the drums, piano and guitar. 

-What's your favourite artist and song?
Tricky question as my taste changes all the time but I'd have to say Baths and his song 'Hall'

-What genres and artists did influence your music?
Too many to even name 

-How much your city influence your music?
Quite a lot really, I was living in Brighton for the past few years and my lifestyle there definitely influenced my music. Location and the weather have a big impact on my mood and therefore the music I write. 

-How much the live element matters in your Music?
It's something I'm yet to do properly as a solo project but Im eager to start performing. I want to include a lot of improvisation and remixing my songs live when I play, I want to make the shows exciting, not just standing behind a laptop and pressing play. I'm working on a live set at the moment and planning on playing as many shows as I physically/mentally can this year. 

Cadence Collective
-What do you think about Music industry nowdays?
In terms of chart music I think its pretty bad, especially how people with very little talent are elevated to such a high level just because of their flawless image/manufactured persona. On the other hand I think there is a lot of great music out there and it is easily accessed online. There is a great culture for sharing music and collaborating with other artists on websites like soundcloud, particularly in the electronic scene.

-What is the message that you'd like to express at the people who
listen to your Music?
Sadness, happiness, love, just some sort of emotion really. I think its experimental/vague enough that people can take their on meanings from it haha.

-Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowdays?
Gospel singers 

-What is your favourite book and movie?
favourite movie is probably Blade runner, Harrison Ford and synths

 -Beatles or Rolling Stones?
Beatles. 




follow us on Facebook and Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment