Artist of the week

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Melodium

melodium


Who are you?

My name is Laurent Girard, i come from Angers (France), i made music as a solo musician for a long time now, i released my first 7” in 1999.


Why do you make Music and what does it mean for you?
i’m not sure why i have made music for so many years now, probably because it gives me a feeling of freedom that everyday’s life and mostly my job don’t


Where and when did you start learn to play ?
i make music since i’m a child, since i took my first piano lessons at 10 years old, at this period i was already trying to compose my own melodies


What’s your favourite artist and song?
for many years my favorite artists were boards of canada and godspeed you! black emperor but they were not very active lately so i’m not sure now, i also like a lot modern classical composer max richter, folk singer laura gibson.

as for favorite song, it’s hard to tell, i’m very impressed by a very moving ambient piece from autechre called ‘vletrmx’


What genres and artists did influence your music?
boards of canada, isan, bands from kranky records (benoit pioulard, boduf song, stars of the lid…) which is my favorite label, so mainly electronica and folk stuff


How much the live element matters in your Music?
i have never performed live and will never, i’m not interesting in performing my music, i’m only intereted in composing stuff


What do you think about Music industry nowdays?
i think it’s a sad situation because it looks like people are considering they don’t have to pay to have music, so it has consequences also for small labels, lots of them are forced to stop their activity because they can’t afford to invest for physical release, the disparition of the physical format is a tragedy to me, i can’t stand the fact that music would be reduced to a computer file.


What is the message that you’d like to express at the people Who listen to your Music?
first i’d like to thank them, particullary people who are buying my records, also i’d like to manage to transfer emotion through my music, i hope they feel there is a human behind my music and not a computer; and that they are touched by my music…


Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowdays?
i think my favorite album of the year is a piano solo album from norwegian pianist ‘ketil bjornstad’ called ‘vinding’s music’ which impressed me a lot both by its technique and emotional impact.


Let’s talk about the new album?
the new album called ‘kansva work’ is a little special to me because, i had several days of holiday at home in august this year, and i gave myself the goal to compose an album during these days, so it took me 7 days exactly (except one track composed before)
it’s not very different from what i composed before, perhaps i used more field recordings than before, so it’s made of small instrumental tracks using various instruments and it’s not a long album so you can easily listen to it from the beginning to the end…i have other albums ready that will be more different from what i did.


What is your favourite book and movie?
my favorite book is probably ‘1984’ , it’s the only book i read several times
my favorite movie perhaps ‘barton fink’, i like this black humour and the atmosphere of weird non sense sometimes

How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?
i think i’ll probably still compose music, i hope some labels will be interested in releasing it


Beatles or Rolling Stones?
i don’t have any records from these bands, if i had to choose, i’ll probably choose the beatles becase i’ts more poppy and melodic
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow us on Facebook and Tumblr


No comments:

Post a Comment