Artist of the week

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Yukka

Jacob Mayfield aka Yukka
-Who are you?
I'm Jacob Mayfield, an electronic musician from London.

-Whats the meaning of Yukka?
Yucca is a plant which I have in my studio, I changed the spelling to Yukka for no good reason. 

-Let’s talk about your new EP “Icicle”?
I've been meaning to put something out for a while and the new year felt like a good time. I liked the direction these two tracks were taking so I spent a couple of days putting the final touches to them.

-Why this title?
I like the sound and look of the word, and it represents the fragility of the music. 

-Why do you make Music and what does it mean for you?
I enjoy the process of discovering new sounds and experimentating. I find making music very therapeutic.  

facebook fanpage
-Where and when did you start learn to play ?
I learnt piano from an early age, I then learnt guitar and played in indie bands. It was at college when I started to get interested in electronic music and production. 

-What's your favourite artist and song?
Artist - Neil Young, Song - not really a song, but Nanou 2 by Aphex Twin, it's perfect.

-What genres and artists did influence your music?
Lots of electronica, ambient and house. Four Tet, Brian Eno, boards of Canada, The books. 

-How much the live element matters in your Music?
It's not a consideration right now, but I plan to play live sometime in the near future and when I do ill probably work the tracks differently to fit a live setting. Maybe get some other musicians involved.  

"A Long Way" and "Icicle" on Bandcamp
-What do you think about Music industry nowdays?
It's much easier for people to share their music with the world. There's so much wonderful stuff going up on soundcloud and YouTube every day, music just made in bedrooms on a laptop. Music is one of the industries that has been most affected by the Internet. More hobbyist musicians are getting their stuff heard without the need or a major label or a studio.  

-What is the message that you'd like to express at the people Who listen to your Music?
Wow, umm.... enjoy it, and find your own meaning. 






-Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowadays?
Burial and Nicolas Jaar are two names that come to mind. Both Making really exciting music at their own pace and in their own unique way.

-How would you describe your sound? 
Textural, fragile, clicky, warm 

-What is your favourite book and movie?
More questions?! Umm.... Book - The World According To Garp by John Irving, Film - Once Upon a Time in America.

-How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?
Hopefully being a musician full time, I want to travel and see the world, and this would be a good way to do it.

-Beatles or Rolling Stones?


Ha... Beatles. 





No comments:

Post a Comment