Artist of the week

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Secret Diaries

Jeremy Arblaster aka Secret Diaries


-Who are you?

Jeremy Arblaster. Sheffield. 24 yeard old.

-Why did you choose the name Secret Diaries?

I really enjoy reading and writing. I wanted something that slightly related to that! It was years ago though, so I’m kind of stuck with it now. 

-Why do you make music and what does it mean for you?

I’ve only ever really made it as a hobby. There’s no harm in putting it out there and seeing if people like it, which is why my stuff is out there online. 

- How would you define your sound?

My friends call it ‘ghost house’. I kind of agree. I try hard to have an ethereal nature to the tracks. Especially with remixes.

-What genres and artists influenced your music the most?

If I could make music like Pantha du Prince I’d be happy. He’s probably my biggest influence. 

-You come from England. What do you think about the music coming from the UK and how how do you see yourself in relation to them?

I think we’re lucky here. We have a really strong music scene. There’s a lot of underground artists. It’s not hard to find good new music here, you just have to know where to look.

-What's your favourite artist and song?

My music taste has always been pretty varied, but I’d say it’s the sadder music that sticks with me the most. My favourite artist would have to be Joanna Newsom. Her song structures are incredible, and she has a really unique voice. She’s also lyrically exceptional too. But my favourite song has to be ‘Little Bear’ by the Guillemots. It’s absolutely stunning.

-Who do you think are the most relevant musicians nowadays and who are you listening to the most?

I think at the moment it’s electronic producers that are having the most influence. Even the new pop music coming out, you can hear the sounds of producers that two or three years ago, were comparatively underground. Take away the vocals from Usher’s ‘Climax’ and you have a track that could’ve been made by Bondax, Disclosure etc… I run a music blog, and run events as my job so I’m always trying to listen to new stuff. Right now I’m listening to Deptford Goth a lot, but every day is different. 
-Where and when did you start learning to play ?

I use a lot of internet samples and editing software. I’m not really sure it takes much learning! I can’t play any instruments so it’s the only way I can make music!

-How much does the live element matter in your music?

Not much really. I don’t have a great live set, and I’m not much of a showman. 

-If you could pick an artist or a band to play with on a stage, who would you choose?

I really prefer Djing to playing live stuff. My live show is fairly uninspiring. But if I was playing live I suppose I’d enjoy playing with Crystal Castles, mainly to hit on Alice Glass. 

-What do you think about the music industry nowadays?

My full time job requires working in the music industry. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love meeting bands and Djs. I’ve met a lot of great people through it. I think that the older I get, the more I’ve stopped caring too much about what people like and don’t like though. It’s so easy to get annoyed by what is popular or what’s hyped up, but complaining about it doesn’t really get you anywhere. Also, if everyone loved the music I love then I’m not sure I’d be too happy about that!

-Why did you choose “Bad Panda Records” to promote your music?

I got talking to them a while back and they said if I ever had something I wanted releasing to let them know. I’m really grateful for putting out the track as it’s gotten so much more exposure thanks to them!

-What is the message that you'd like to express to the people who listen to your music?

It sounds pretty rubbish, but I don’t really have any high ideals about what people should feel. I just hope they enjoy listening to the tracks. I’m usually sick of them by the time I’ve finished them, so I’m always hoping other people might enjoy it more than I end up doing!

"Prayers" on Bad Panda Records 
-What is your favourite book and movie?

Favourite book is probably V by Thomas Pynchon. Movie is a tough one. Probably The Fountain. Gets me every time. 

-How and where do you see yourself in ten years from now?

A failed author I reckon. I’m not nearly talented enough to make any waves in the music industry. 

-Pc or Mac?

Pc

-Beatles or Rolling Stones?

Tough one, as I’m not bothered about either really, probably the Stones.


follow us on facebook and tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment